S3 object storage is a capacitive and inexpensive service for storing various data types that consume a lot of space and do not change too often. For example, it can be: backups, documents, video files, photos, etc.
Nextcloud can use object storage as an external storage. Moreover, for the end user it will look like an ordinary folder in the Nextcloud interface.
To connect S3 to Nextcloud the following data from S3 are required: bucket name, access code (access key), access password (secret key).
For more detailed information about working with object storage, please, see the object storage section of our knowledge base.
To connect S3 object storage you need to follow these steps:
1. Log in to the Nextcloud web interface using an account with administrator rights.
2. Install the Nextcloud extension to work with S3.
To do this, click the icon with your initials in the upper right corner of the Nextcloud screen and select "Applications" in the menu that opens. Then find the "External storage support" application in the list and enable it.
3. Click on your initials again and go to "Settings
4. Find "External Storages" in the "Administration" menu and click on it.
5. Enter the desired folder name and select "Amazon S3" storage type.
6. Enter the connection parameters for the object storage in the corresponding fields
For example, for the s3.objstor.cloud4y.ru object storage and the Nextcloud bucket settings will look like this
8. The object storage is connected and you can work with it as with a regular folder.
Have you tried Virtual cloud servers by Cloud4Y? Not yet?
Leave a request and get a 10-day free trial.